Many people focus on the treatment of disease once they have it and overlook the idea of preventive medicine. The truth is that prevention can go far beyond washing one’s hands and getting enough sleep—even though those practices are incredibly important.
Holistic medicine has many approaches to preventing disease, as well as, treating it in a healthful and natural way. This is because holistic medicine views the patient in a unique way, and very different from conventional medicine.
Holistic medicine approach the person as a whole, not just their disease, condition or symptoms there of. This means that the mind, body, and spirit are all taken into account when deciding how to approach treatment and prevention of disease.
What You Can Do
Much of the power of preventing disease lies in your own hands. There are plenty of holistic practices you can try that can boost your immune system to keep you safe from even the most virulent diseases.
Here are some examples:
- Take Vitamin Supplements: Men and women’s one-a-day supplements are often chock full of natural ingredients that promote bone, heart, and immune system health. By taking these regularly, you can help to strengthen your resistance.
- Proper Nutrition: A diet filled with nutritious whole foods and one that does not include junk food is the best way to keep a body string, healthy and to boost immunity.
- Anti-Oxidant Rich Foods: Anti-oxidant rich foods help to prevent cancer and fight free radicals that can cause disease, a diet filled with these foods is one natural method to living a long and healthy life.
- Add Citrus to Your Diet: Citrus fruits are a great source of Vitamin C which is known for supporting strong immunity. By adding fruits, such as lemons, oranges, grapefruit, limes, and more. The juices of these fruits are also very effective.
- Practice Stress Reduction: This is one of the best things you can do to help maintain your health. Despite vitamins, minerals, citrus, sleep, and more, stress can undo all of your hard work and weaken your immune system. Practicing stress management such as deep breathing, exercise like yoga, meditation and positive affirmation can help you to stop stress before it starts to maintain optimal immune system health.
Holistic medicine refers to the philosophy behind the holistic care approach. As stated, holistic care refers to caring for the whole person rather than just their disease. Due to holistic medicine’s all inclusive approach to patients, it is often seen as a preventive as well as a therapeutic medicine that emphasizes self-care and self-healing. This is why looking at what you as the individual can do for yourself is such a large part of holistic care.
Holistic medicine can also be an umbrella term for more extreme cases—especially when it comes to treating disease if preventive steps have failed. As an umbrella term, it refers to a wide range of health care approaches that can include modern medicine as well as holistic options.
Some of the main preventive approaches holistic medicine focuses on are the following:
- Faith Healing
- Megavitamin Therapy
The Bottom Line
Holistic medicine is a natural alternative to modern, or mainstream medications and treatments. In order to stop disease before it starts, it is important to practice self-care and other natural approaches that will help build up your immune system.
Holistic medicine is all about therapeutic care that is meant to make the patient feel good on the inside and out. While most mainstream medications and preventive practices focus on the disease at hand, holistic care practitioners understand that there is a still person to relate to in the midst of illness and the best way to prevent any illness is to maintain overall health and wellness.
Heeding holistic medicine’s preventive tips and advice can help you to build your immune system so that you don’t have to worry about pesky illnesses like the cold, flu and other more serious diseases, such as, heart disease, cancer, and more.